September 21st and Onward



Sunday Morning Market


Most neighborhoods in Paris have outdoor markets on one or more days each week. Our local market at Place Reunion takes place Sunday mornings. So one Sunday morning we walked several blocks and came upon a market much larger than we had expected. Being foodies, we naturally headed toward the Specialites Italiennes stand.



At the italian stand we were not disappointed. These little sweet pies of custard with a little smear of fig jam at 1 Euro each were delicious.

We completed our breakfast by sharing a Lebanese treat. It was like a thin soft bread round with a spinach based topping on one side and a cheese topping on the other side. All this was baked on a flat round grill. Delicioso!


Musee national du Moyen Age

The Musee national du Moyen Age, formerly the Cluny Museum, is housed in a lovely medieval building. "The structure is perhaps the most outstanding example still extant of civic architecture in medieval Paris. It was formerly the town house (hôtel) of the abbots of Cluny, started in 1334. The structure was rebuilt by Jacques d'Amboise, abbot in commendam of Cluny 1485-1510; it combines Gothic and Renaissance elements. In 1843 it was made into a public museum, to contain relics of France's Gothic past." (source: Wikipedia)


Unfortunately for us, the core of the museum, the famous Lady and the Unicorn tapestries were not at the museum when we visited. They had been lent to Japanese museums while their room at the Cluny was renovated.


"In its desire to erase all traces of feudalism, the French Revolution systematically and seriously damaged the decor of the cathedral of Notre Dame of Paris. In 1793, the twenty eight statues of the kings of Judah on the main facade were taken down and then sold to a builder as scrap material. Considered as lost, they were reconstructed in their original positions by Viollet-le-Duc’s team in the middle of the 19th century. But in 1977, during the construction of Rue de la Chaussee-d’Antin, twenty one kings’ heads – and more than one hundred fragments of statues- luckily resurfaced." (source: Cluny Museum web site) The heads now reside in the gallery of Kings of the museum.

A beautiful wall displaying midieval stained glass panels.

The End

Return to List of Paris Trip Stories