Volterra was an Etruscan settlement starting from the 8th century BC.
In the 4th century BC, the Etruscans
built a defensive wall over 7 kilometers long to enclose the town as well
as arable and pasture land. 25,000 people were housed within the wall.
After the battle of Lake Vadimone (283 B.C.)
the Etruscans were forced to accept Roman rule.
Palazzo dei Priori, Volterra's town hall - the oldest in Tuscany (constructed 1208-1254)
Duomo fresco of the Ascension of Christ by Nicolo Cercignani (1591)
Roman Theatre (1st century BC)
Alabaster storage room
The Porto all'Arco, an Etruscan gate.
Beautiful Etruscan style jewelry
here to return to the list of stories